Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Better Destination


My laptop stopped working during a presentation to a potential new client.  I had been working on the laptop all day, trying to get my personal finances in order.  When you work on other people’s finances all day, you never get to your own.  So I had been balancing my checking account and entering receipts for hours that day using the computer.  Then I had to pick up the sitter and drive through Boston to get to a client’s home.  The 25 minute drive took 105 minutes – thank you Central Artery at rush hour.

While I was showing the client spreadsheets, the computer locked up three different times.  Finally I shut it down and tried to verbally describe how I could improve his financial life with weekly updates.  I was embarrassed.  I wanted to come off so together and professional.

Since I’ve brought the lap top home, I’ve had no problems – not a one.  What’s up with that?!  These are the moments when I think higher powers are at work.  I imagine that there is a reason for the situation.  There is a reason that it was important that I felt insecure at that moment.  There is a lesson for me to learn from the experience.

I know this is just my imaginings.  But these kinds of thoughts help me through those moments.  I don’t like the idea that random occurrences control our decisions and experiences.  I prefer the less likely alternative – every negative experience happens to lead you down a path to a better destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment