Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Just Go With It


"A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes but to get into accord with them: they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world."  Sigmund Freud

My hands itch when I get stressed.  Stress induced eczema - that’s a medical term I just made up.  I like knowing this about myself, because it helps me be aware of what’s going on with my fears.  I usually stress out when I’m afraid of something, and so when my hands start itching I pay attention to what I might be bothered by at that moment.

To get into accord with your complexes.  I like that.  I don’t have to be cured, just aware.

Awareness can be a scary thing, I guess.  Aware that you have a shopping problem, aware that your parents weren’t that good at parenting, aware when you’re angry at one person but then taking it out on someone else.  You don’t have to stop the shopping, or confront your parents or stop being angry.  You just have to be aware of it. 

That’s what this blog is about – becoming aware of the fears.  And then letting that awareness direct my conduct in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment