Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Giant Void of the Internet

“The truth is, no one knows about me. I feel like I’m just sending things into this giant void.” Amy Adams, Julie & Julia

I just saw this movie. She starts this blog writing about her experiences preparing food from Julia Child’s cookbook. She gave herself one year – committed to writing every day. Of course, the experience changed her life – made her into a published author. 

When she made the statement above about writing and putting her thoughts out for anyone on the internet to see, I realized how different my perspective is. Is the internet a giant void for ideas to lose themselves? Or a place for ultimate exposure? No where to hide, no one to hide from? Where an idea can live forever? Vulnerable to scrutiny and criticism?

I bet there are hundreds of people who start blogs on January 1st of every year. I’ve started a couple a few years ago, but I stop after a few entries. I have a lot to say, I like to write, and think I do it well. The idea of putting my thoughts out on the internet just seems terrifying. Vulnerable to scrutiny and criticism.

But what I have to say is important. Budget Counseling is an amazing profession to be in. The people I’ve met and the information I’ve obtained about financial education is incredible – too important to keep to myself. Just the basic knowledge, “rich people don’t manage money better than poor people,” just that one basic piece of information amazed me, and there’s so much more. 

So I’ve decided to start writing. 2012 will be the year. This blog will be about fear – false expectations appearing real. My fears, my client’s fears, and the fears of all the educators who don’t want to understand what’s really going on around the lack of financial education in this country.


Today I resolve to face one of my many fears and put my ideas out on the internet. Part of me hopes that there is no one out there reading this. That my ideas go out into a giant void. Regardless they’re going out, so they can live forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment