Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Show Me the Money?

I hate asking people for money.  I hate “selling” my services.  I hate having to convince people that even though I help them manage their money, I don’t make a lot of money doing it.

It’s so illogical though.  I know I’m not going to do all this work for people for free, and I know the service is invaluable and worth what I charge.  I completely understand why people think it’s something they should be able to do on their own, even though most don’t.

Organizing your mail, balancing your checking account, and paying bills seems like something anyone with a half a brain and a decent job should be able to do, but I meet so many people who are completely overwhelmed with the task.  So when I sit and talk to someone about how they can benefit from my services, I need to really sell them on it.

The average client usually spends 6 hours a month on me.  I have one client who only requires 3 hours a month and another who requires about 12.  It depends on how much activity is going on in their bank accounts.  Once I start doing the work for a client, they’re sold.  They don’t have to go through mounds of mail, try to remember when bills are due, or sift through receipts at tax time.  For the $200-$300 a month they pay per month, it’s completely worth it.

So why am I so unnerved with talking about this to a skeptical client?  I’m sure it has something to do with having to deal with confrontation, or how I value myself, or some such other psychological issue.  I think I’ll leave this one un-analyzed and just decide that it’s something I need to just get over.  If I want to continue to help people, then I need to put myself out there and continue to market myself.  Show me the money!

No comments:

Post a Comment